5.12.06
Hard Ass/Stiff Bottom


Thought I'd post this one before the club DJs find it and ruin it for everyone. My fondnes of Armand Van Helden has been up and down over the last five years to be honest, but nevertheless he still makes great club music. Back in the day I was into more funkier electro and club music, so I loved his hits like 'Funk Phenomenon', 'Flowers' and the anthemic 'U Don't Know Me'. He remained in my good books when he came back with 'Koochy' that scratched-the-fuck-up Gary Numan-sampling little gem. But after that he slipped down my ladder when 'My My My' became what it is today. Maybe its just because Ive had so many shit drunken nights, in boring clubs dancing to that crap. But right now I think I would enjoy dancing to this track, but if any of them useless DJs start to play this.. I know i will absolutely hate it. So enjoy it while you can!



I think we've all heard and enjoyed SMD's mixes of W.A.Y.U.H by now but I must admit I was a little dissapointed not to find their remix on the the 7" or CDS release for The Rapture's new single. I hope there'll be a following 12" with the remixes, also hopefully containing this unspected remix by Claude VonStroke. This is available as track 2 on the CDS and is a a little more of a minimal electro workout compared to the other remixes. 'W.A.Y.U.H' is out now on 7" and CDS and available to but at most record stores including Juno.





Ive always liked Ben Watt's Buzzin Fly label. It always puts out quality compilations, and Justin Martin one of the labels best artists never dissapoints me with his productions. His 2003 release 'The Sad Piano' is by far my favourite release from this label, and such a great soulful house number. Ok I know some of you will be thinking right now... Soulful? eh? Well just listen, this aint no shit funky house your thinking of and I can only praise his beautiful work. His latest release 'The Fugitive' may be more suited to some of you though. Id say its more of a a tech-house production but theres still that feeling in there that gives this track a more captivating and blissful character. 'The Fugitive' by Justin Martin is out now on Buzzin Fly and available form Juno and Phonica.



Some of you may have already heard of Buraka Som Sistema, a Portugese project producing innovative 'Kuduro' music (meaning Hard Ass or Stiff Bottom in Portugese!). Yeah I had no idea either, but apparantly its an energetic, uptempo type of African Dance music orignating from Angola and Buraka Som Sistema are updating the beats with modern electronic influences. There tipped for success with a new EP 'From Buraka To The World' now released on iTunes, and have similarities to acts like MIA and Spank Rock. The 'From Buraka To The World EP' by Buraka Som Sistema is available now to download from iTunes.



Staying in Portugal for now, a visitor to this blog pointed me in the direction of Moulinex another Portugese bunch who produce some commendable filthy electro similar to that of Guns'N'Bombs or Boys Noize I dare to say... There are some Demo tracks available on their MySpace if you're interested in finding more, and there's even a mighty fine mixtape up for grabs too!



Moulinex - L
ibère La Femme Mixtape Vol.I
Shadow Dancer - Dirtbox
MSTRKRFT - Work On You (Para One Remix)
Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
The Rapture - Get Myself Into It (SebastiAn Remix)
Run DMC - It's Tricky
Hystereo - Let's Do It
Herbie Hancock - Rockit
New Young Pony Club - Ice Cream
Zongamin - Bongo Song
Guns'N'Bombs - Nothing Is Getting Us Anywhere
Mr Oizo - Nazis (Justice Remix)
Datarock - Fa Fa Fa
Hot Chip - Boy From School (Erol Alkan Rework)
Para One - Dudun-Dun (MSTRKRFT Remix)
Riot In Belgium - La Musique
Rex The Dog - Maximize
Daft Punk - Robot Rock
Reverso 68 - Tokyo Disco (Part One)
Guns'N'Bombs - Crossover Appeal
Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler
Infadels - Love Like Semtex (Metronomy Remix)
The Prestes - Girl And The Sea
Aphex Twin - Window Licker (Aphex Twin Remix For Cash)
Aphex Twin - Window Licker (Run Jeremy's X-Rated Lick)
Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam
Scenario Rock - Skitzo Dancer (Justice Remix)
Daft Punk - Human After All (SebatiAn Remix)
Para One - Club Hoppin'


In other news, it seems a few people actually liked my Daft Punk VS Yeah Yeah Yeahs remix. Ive seen someone post it on their blog, and thanks to DJ Paul V who even played it out on his LA radio show! crazy huh.
9 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thx for the tip on Moulinex, they do sound very Guns&Bombs like ...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
hey mate thx a lot I ve been waiting all nite to see "The Rapture - 'W.A.Y.U.H (Claude Vonstroke Pantydropper Vocal Mix)" posted here hehehhe. I ll take a look to the rest and Im really interested in that new set u upped. thx again!

Blogger RJ said...
yeah do listen to the set, im loving it at the moment...
check out their myspace for more info too.. myspace.com/moulinex

Blogger gustavo beça said...
ARO!

Moulinex and Buraka Som Sistema are HOT!!!
The first ones are not very know but Buraka are becoming bigger and bigger!

Great tunes posted!

cheers

Anonymous Anonymous said...
RY! greattttt post!

i was looking for that claude vonstroke remix!!!
i've got something cool to send to you in a couple of days

anyway, by reading this post it really made me wanna go dancing with you! no one cool danced with me @ sinden and nobody recognized the songs... so, next time we're in london together ey?

anyway top post

Blogger RJ said...
hehe yeah! would be epic!
in fact ive never been to london before (i know.. shameful!)
but im sure we'd make a dynamite duo on the dancefloor tal! lol!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
s'no wonder your maps/world mash-up is getting posted all over the shop. its a great tune. i am playing out on saturday night and will definitely be dropping it

Anonymous Anonymous said...
thanks for that. moulinex, I like, I like.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey mate, just came across your page randomly and love the tracks you've put up here, we should compare playlists sometime! If you find a good version of the switch mix of no more convo I'm all over it! Electronic music is a dangerous addiction ;-)

My current top 5:
1) Nic Fanciulli - Lucky Heather (Dubfire Remix)
2) Mighty Dub Katz - Guaguanco (Tom Middleton Remix)
3) Prydz v Floyd - Proper Education (Sebastien Leger Remix)
4) Solieb - Isotropy (Lazy Fat People's Space Invaders Remix)
5) Aeronautics - It's a Fine Day (Retroinvaders Dub)